February 01, 2008

It works!

I've been meaning to post this a while back but I was absorbed with trying to finish the Imogen sweater. I have a yarn winder at home but without a yarn swift, winding was a pain in the backside. I had three hanks of Dream in Color yarn to wind and figured, ok... it's time to get a yarn swift.

I didn't want to order it online, especially after I had so much trouble getting a blocking board, that took a month and a half to sort out shipping to me. I also didn't want to spend as much money on it so I toyed with the idea of making something myself. I found good tutorials on how to construct one with wood and all the rest. Even asked the hubby to help me with it. But then... I found the Crafting Jen blog post and thought, I could have my very own yarn swift that night made from Tinkertoy. I looked up toy shops in the Toronto area, one in particular came to mind, checked there site and low and behold.. they had them!

I popped in after work, spent about 30 bucks, got home and put it together. It was simple and it works. Granted, it's a bit wabble-y, but at the end of the day, you get what you pay for.. I paid less than half the price of a new one, I can redesign and change sizes if you wish, and had no problems when it came down to winding.


equals

No comments: